Best Great Lakes Photos from 2017
By Dave Rosenthal
Flooding along Lake Ontario. A sunken ship. Eerie waves. A dissected Asian carp. All images from a memorable 2017 -- and part of Great Lakes Today reporting that ranged from Montreal to Duluth. Take a look at our favorite photos of the year.
1. Algae blooms turned western Lake Erie a sickly green.
2. After heavy spring rains, flooding hit the shoreline of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River.
3. A lake sturgeon study was threatened by President Trump's budget plan.
4. Freezing spray from Lake Ontario created this 'ice house.'
5. Two replica Christopher Columbus ships sparked protests in Oswego, N.Y.
6. After an Asian carp was found within 10 miles of Lake Michigan, scientists dissected it for clues about its travels.
7. "Eerie Erie," an other-worldly image from Ontario photographer Dave Sandford.
8. Tourists on the Maid of the Mist tour boat in Niagara Falls.
9. Bald eagles are being poisoned from eating lead shot in carcasses.
10. A discharge of discolored wastewater near Niagara Falls brought attention to a regional problem.
11. Gord Downie, a Canadian rock icon and Great Lakes supporter, died in October.
12. Gunilda, a luxury yacht, sank in 1911 in Lake Superior.
13. Surreal paintings by Alexis Rockman highlighted challenges facing the Great Lakes.
14. The Albany Symphony Orchestra marked the bicentennial of the Erie Canal's beginnings.
15. Western N.Y. grape farmers are confronting climate change.
16. On some islands in Lake Erie, students fly to school.
17. In Minnesota, Native Americans preserve the tradition of harvesting wild rice.
18. In March, Great Lakes Today hosted two public meetings of the International Joint Commission.